Sunday, November 6, 2011

iPad Blog-Week 5

I am so impressed with the improvement my students are making in their fluency with reading. To be honest I was a little skeptical in the beginning because I did not know if this application would really be successful but
as I researched ways to help student reading and comprehension I learned that “Fluency provides a bridge between word recognition and comprehension.” so I continued with the study to see if it would really improve their reading skills. As time progresses so have some of my students fluency. I now have 5 students who have skipped 2 reading levels on the application that is presently being used. The amount of words that are read with no miscues or errors is amazing. When comparing the amount of words read by my students to the required expectations, my students are making great progress due to the fact that I have (4) K-1 grade readers, (12) 2nd grade readers and (4) 3rd grade readers.                                                                            "Typical” first graders read 60 wpm.
“Typical” second graders read 70 wpm.
“Typical” third graders read 80 wpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment